Thursday, September 3, 2009

Young Liars


I started reading David Lapham's Young Liars about six months ago and was catching bits and pieces of the story because my trips to the comic book shop were infrequent and very impulsive. Now its routine, but that's not what this little thing is about. Anyways, Young Liars is my favorite thing to get involved in. I recommend this book to anyone who isn't boring or afraid of comic books. Its pretty vivid in both its language and content, and is a beacon of excellence in a crap ass world. The story revolves around a group of individuals who are in way over their head in a society of regimented lameness and personal excess, only to find themselves in the seediest of situations. I very much found myself relating to the character of Danny, a neurotic music obsessed dude who often lets his crazy prevent him from doing whats best, and yes, comics is how i keep myself in check. The major thing about Young Liars that i love is the fact that every issue comes with a little visual mix tape that lets the reader know what the soundtrack to each issue should be. Mr. Lapham has good taste and his stories unfold to the sounds of Suicide, The Fall, Bowie, Wire, and Tears For Fears to name a few. This book also just got canceled because its too good. Find it, read it, know it, and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment